June 8, 2000
– Congressman Elijah Cummings to deliver keynote address –U.S. Rep. Elijah E. Cummings (D-Md.) will give the keynote address at a day-long educational seminar Saturday, June 10, sponsored by the Johns Hopkins Comprehensive Transplant Center, at Marriott's Hunt Valley Inn. More than 400 transplant patients and their families from across the country are expected to attend.
The third annual conference, "Transplant: Bridges to a New Life," will address issues affecting the everyday lives of transplant recipients, candidates and their family members.
Among other topics, speakers from Hopkins, the Transplant Resource Center of Maryland and the National Institutes of Health will cover:
- Psychological challenges of transplantation – David H. Edwin, Ph.D., associate professor of medical psychology at Hopkins.
- Coping with the challenges of chronic illness – Susan Blacker, a social worker at Hopkins.
- Caring for the chronically ill – Linda Darrell, a social worker at Hopkins.
- Nutrition – Dennis Myers, a clinical dietician specialist at Hopkins.
The program runs from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
For more information about the conference, please call the transplant center at 410-614-3791. To interview any of the speakers, contact me at 410-955-1534 or firstname.lastname@example.org.